Psychology (Honors Track Available)
The Psychology major at the College requires 34 credits of course work to receive a Bachelor of Arts. Students pursuing this field will analyze many aspects of human and animal behavior, including experimental, learning, and social, child, biological and abnormal psychology. The diverse course offerings provide good exposure to different areas of the discipline and a solid preparation for graduate studies in psychology.
Required Courses (22 credits)
- PSYN 101 - Introduction to Psychology - 3 credits
- PSYN 301 - Experimental Psychology - 3 credits
- PSYN 301.6 - Experimental Psychology Lab - 1 credits
- PSYN 351 - Biological Psychology - 3 credits
- PSYN 493 - Advanced Topics for Psychology - 3 credits
- PSYN 201 - Developmental Psychology - 3 credits
- MATN 261 - Statistics for Social Science Majors - 3 credits
- PSYN 335 - Abnormal Psychology - 3 credits
Four Electives from the Following: (12 credits)
- PSYN 102 - Social Psychology - 3 credits
- PSYN 205 - Psychology of Motivation # @ - 3 credits
- PSYN 210 - Theories of Learning @ - 3 credits
- PSYN 216 - Adolescent Psychology - 3 credits
- PSYN 221 - Industrial Psychology - 3 credits
- PSYN 231 - Psychological Testing # @ - 3 credits
- PSYN 302 - Experimental Psychology II - 3 credits
- PSYN 310 - Theories of Personality # - 3 credits
- PSYN 311 - Psycholinguistics - 3 credits
- PSYN 312 - Cognition and Memory - 3 credits
- PSYN 314 - Group Dynamics - 3 credits
- PSYN 326 - Forensic Psychology - 3 credits
- PSYN 325 - Drugs and Behavior (Psychoactive Drugs) # - 3 credits
- PSYN 332 - History and Systems of Psychology - 3 credits
- PSYN 340 - Introduction to Counseling and Therapy # - 3 credits
- PSYN 345 - Psychology of Health and Illness - 3 credits
- PSYN 401 - Psychology of the Exceptional Child # @ - 3 credits
- PSYN 402 - Clinical Psychology # - 3 credits
- PSYN 420 - Eating Disorders - 3 credits
- PSYN 432 - Neuropsychology - 3 credits
- PSYN 481 - Independent Study in Psychology - 3 credits
- PSYN 485 - Internship in Psychology* - 3
- PSYN 494 - Senior Honors Project in Psychology - 3 credits
Total Credits in Program 34
- Students may, with prior written department approval, count up to three credits of courses in related fields (outside of psychology) toward the major.
- # courses marked with a pound sign are recommended to those students with a clinical interest.
- @ courses marked are recommended for those students with an interest in the education field.
- Students who graduate with a Psychology major may NOT go back and complete an honors psychology major.
The Department of Psychology has added an honors major. Students who complete the honors major satisfactorily will be graduated with honors in psychology. Requirements for the honors major are all those of the standard major, with the following additions (a total of 43 Credits):
- PSYN 496 - Honors Seminar (3 credits)
- PSYN 494 - Senior Honors Project (3 credits)
Five electives in psychology, which must include PSYN 312 Cognition and PSYN 332 History and Systems.
To be admitted to the honors major, a student must have
- Declared themselves as a psychology major
- Have taken at least 21 credit hours in psychology, including PSYN 301
- Have a GPA in psychology classes taken at Touro of 3.4 or higher
- Have an overall GPA at Touro of 3.0 or higher
- Complete a brief application for the honors major
Graduate Courses in School Psychology
Qualified advanced students may enroll in a selected number of graduate courses in school psychology which can be applied towards the Master of Science degree in School Psychology offered by Touro’s School of Health Sciences. Students seeking more information should contact the Psychology Department or the Office of the Dean.